Friday, December 22, 2017

What This Year's Christmas Has Taught Me

A Christmas bonus is something in and of itself. It is an indication you are doing a good job! It is an indicator your hard work has paid off. Juli, a gentle eyed blond from right outside of Tampa Florida came to me as a gift in disguise five days before Christmas Eve. She worked for a credit loan company. Through contacts she was looking for a cheap place to stay as she was traveling through her assigned territory of Alabama and Florida.  Being Christmas I willingly obliged knowing I could use the extra money on rent. After she arrived on Wednesday we explained pleasantries but due to our schedules we never really spoke aside from me recommending places to eat. We did not get a chance to converse! She did bond with my dog quickly though.

Then Thursday night arrived and I got a chance to hear her story. You see,  Hurricane Irma had ravaged her neighborhood and her home had caught fire killing both of her dogs. As she relayed this I could understand why she was so tolerant of my rambunctious jagg'd terrier! She absolutely spoiled her. It was as if time stood still and nothing else mattered to her. I could see in her eyes, her facial expression and her inflection that she was so much more appreciative than she may have been, than say, this summer.

The following morning, as I was backing out of the driveway, I scraped against her Alamo rental car. After using an assortment of colorful language, I jumped out of my car as visions of my fleeting Christmas bonus danced in my head and flushed down the toilet. Gathering myself I could still find solace in believing she had bought rental insurance at the airport! Two hours later she confirmed she HAD NOT. Of course as we say down South, I got to carrying on, hollerin' and raising a mild ruckus in my office behind closed doors to myself. Before she left she requested the opportunity to walk Marnie! Knowing the healing she needed how could I not allow it.  Of course she texted me a photo and it was good in focus. That being,  it made me focus on what is important what is lasting, what is noble, what is eternal. The meaning of it all really hit me as she assured me her regular insurance would cover it! Calling my agent it appeared mine would to. I could end my song and dance and act like an adult again.

But, even if insurance had not covered it, and who knows it may not, Julie taught me so much in just an amazing two days. Almost tearing up throughout the day I finally realized what a blessing she was! As she is now back with her family, there is that chance that she may never cross my path again. But, she taught me a lesson I always know but always forget! That people matter. That mercy matters, that empathy matters, that material, reputation and STUFF do not! Julie, you will rebuild again soon. But, don't you know that you have already completed my foundation. One that is prone to rot during such a consumerist time of year! You gave me this year's best present. Merry Christmas Juli. Merry Christmas!

JCB

No comments:

Post a Comment