Friday, November 25, 2011

"Dewlickers"

     I have been livin' in this house for only a short while, couple of years maybe.  It seems to me that my family is always having to cope with life's changes.  Everyone lays their burdens at my side since they know that I cannot speak.  They know I can't spout off criticism or my own irrational opinions.

     Cassie, the youngest of four siblings, is about to enter the seventh grade.  A wrapping of blue eyes and blond hair, she definitely takes after her father.  She's just entering the collosal sea of adolescence and cannot totally define her place in our family, much less the world.

     'Sampson, precious Sampson, which dress do you think I look best in?"  She asks me as if she was central Mississippi's top debutante.  "I guess I'll go with black, after all it really brings about my figure.  Justin, the starting quarterback and my date, would prefer me in red.  But I being a Shillingsworth, am persuaded by no man even if he is of blue-blooded nobility.  Well, Sampson your right again definitely black.  Most positively, absolutely black, amazingly, sexy black."  With the gait only a Southern women would have she leaves the room and I alone in a cloud of curiosity.

"Touchdown, touchdown! Hot Damn Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty Who the Hell Are We."  Grant, the oldest, is scolding and embracing our only television set.  Ya see, the University of Mississippi, better known as Ole Miss in these parts, has just scored a go ahead touchdown over rival Mississippi State with three seconds to go.  He has just completed his degree in business management from Ole Miss!

Once dad died he solely took over at the lumber factory.  Shillingsworth's lumber company has been an example of only a few constants in our town of Meridian, or in Mississippi for that matter.  At first, wanting to slowly learn about the ins and outs of the business, Grant had to press his luck. He flipped the hand given to him and cashed it in like a Natchez river boat gambler in order to keep the company running.  All in all I believe that this onslaught of sudden responsibility has made him better equipped at the bigger challenge of the responsibility of caring for a family.

"Lacybird, almost done?  I cannot imagine celebrating a Rebel victory on an empty stomach!"  "Has Roland prepared the table like I asked him?"  Lacy, the oldest daughter, has an almost foreign spirit about her.  Her coffee colored eyes and raven hair definitely come from the cajun side of the family.  Our mother's name was Leone and her family owned much land just this 'side of New Orleans.  She met dad at a fraternity social while at Ole Miss.  Although, she is sixteen her responsibilities render her a dynamic of maturity beyond biological years.  She plays mother to Grant's father. "Can't you think of anything else besides food and stuffin' yo innards G.S.  "Like I said before, a Rebel victory always gives me hunger pangs."  G.S. it always also gives 'ya gas and if it's a victory over State or Auburn you become sloppy drunk."  "But, hey Lace, at least I'm happy all the way through it. Besides it's the way of a "Southern Gent" to live and indulge a little."

"Cassandra, Roland let's grub," shouts Grant as the two make their way down the stairs into the kitchen. " What kinda redneck talk is that for a college educated and sophisticated man?" states Lace as she sets the turkey at the center of the table.  "True Southern vernacular and only a Mississippian can get away with it, even if he is of partial blue-blooded birth."  To a man I laugh at this though as all members of the family bow to pray.

"O.K.,  who wants to pray grace?  Roland, Cassie, Grant! Grant!" Lacy looks sharply at Grant.  After a second of quick tension Roland speaks up. "I will, I'll do it!  Dear fabber in heben we ask ya ta bless this turkey and bread that will fill our head-so we also thank you for the love as well as the grub. AMEN!" Amen, whispers the others. "Look at this sort of backward influence that yer havin' G.S."  Grant is unable to defend himself due to a mouthful of dressing. Lacy smiles warmly at Roland and pats him on the back.

Roland, equally half Shillingsworth and half Leone, is seven and therefore the youngest.  I personally see great things for Rolls, as he is effectionately called.  With a gleeful smile and quick wit, for a seven year old, he will be successful in any career.  He also just might be successful with the most sparklin' of the debutantes this fine community has to offa!  With soft sandy hair and beagle dog hazel eyes he is the radiance of the family.  But don't tell Cassie 'cause she thinks she is.

The growing shadow in the hallway and the clock chimes signal the five o' clock hour.  I begin to slide unto the couch for a nap.  But before I do this I must remind Lacey, in my own subtle way, to take her pain medicine.  You see! Lace has bone marrow cancer and has yet to begin chemo.  She has chronic pain in her knees, neck and arms.  Through all this, she perseveres and has a steadfast faith in the Creator.

Roland is a paraplegic who had a severe bicycle accident just barely a year ago.  Judging by his warmth and desire to learn about all "THERE IS TO KNOW" people soon take his paralysis for granted. If there is anyone who will walk again using their sheer willpower it will be Rolls.  He sure has my support.

Cassie's handicap is not as obvious as Lacy's or Roland's.  Her physical beauty is evident in her taunt, junior high school body.  But because of Ma 'en Pa's death, due to a capsize on the family skiff off of the Chandalier's, she can no longer feel anything beautiful inside of her.  By becoming self-absorbed she can rely on herself and not be at the mercy of outside heavens that could full and crush her dreams once more.

Grant, once a young man who had big dreams and a soft smile has to carry the weight of the family.  He has to handle the blow of a reality that crushes his creativity and brings about a somberness to his life.  Although, he knows better he finds his muse in the bottle.  But in the end I know he is a better man and he will come out of it in all magnitude.

As for myself, well, some see me as the family mutt; who chews up bones and upholstry.  Others may view me as the ladybug perched on the orchids by the window sill.  Or maybe I'm just the families' guardian angel who hears my sisters and brothers as they speak to themselves and think that no one is listening.  Like the morning dew that comes and soaks thirsty grass, I was put here to give nourishment to these people that I love so much.  That's why I call them "DEWLICKERS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment