Saturday, July 13, 2013

"Twenty-Five Julys 'Till August"

Elton John pulsed dashboard out
proclaiming a memory-my memory
was permissible to
summon me one month forward

Oh, that lonely cassette tape
belched from radio leaked into that
white room corner, forlorn
west wing of home

A childhood memory
sitting at times alone
That adolescent flash in colored visions and tones
concerning the end of summer

To start as a seventh grader
to stop all the innocence
that was Don Henley
When we were Destin, Florida vacation restrained

That night I feared all that was new
but slept cautiously
not knowing
my adolescent days were few

I hated that school could not start in September
Elton John pulsed dashboard out caused that fact to be remembered
That it was only July-that you'd make it soon enough
As for this time your weakening heat, I would not rebuff

Smiling at you now I no longer wish you away
Looking back on that 1989 summer eve's sway

I thankfully smile out into the rain
And thankfully pray to all those Julys which brought me to this one
To remind me that you were not so bad
I bid ado until three more weeks-I will finally appreciate you in three more weeks.

*Work about how a song can remind you of a crystalized moment in your childhood stating what month of the year and season in your life it which it reminds you.

J.C.B.


No comments:

Post a Comment